Hello again!
I am going to try to be better about updating (ha ha, yeah right)
The boys have been out of school for the last 5 days or so (and will be till the end of the week), its been different- but I think we are bonding a little better.
Monday Soukanh took all of us to eat on the Mekong river, they have these individual restaurant/boat things that you can eat on while you fish and float down the Mekong - pretty cool if you ask me. The menu was, lets just say... less than desirable! For the app there were fried slugs with lemon grass and leaves, yes I know I have eaten them before but there is a difference between eating them as food and trying something crazy just to say you did it. After that they brought out the main dish - live shrimps. They had to cover the plate so the little guys wouldnt get everywhere. I have a video (I will post it soon) of everyone eating them while they are squirming. I just cant handle the idea of live food - sorry not my thing.
We had a good relaxing float down the river - then came back to the house.
Simanie (she is the cook) LOVES to see me freak out about things that people eat so she went to the market and got some ant larve and cooked that for dinner. My adventurous side has diminished since I was sick last week (not sure what I ate but it didnt agree with me) so I did not try the ant larve- tho I was told by everyone it was super delicious.
I have gone swimming in the Mekong 2x this week, it is directly behind the house so we just walk down to the beach. Since its the dry season the water is very low so its easy to keep track of the boys which is good. Its kinda cool to watch the sunset over the water - the last two nights have been absolutely beautiful!
My attempt at learning Lao has been amusing for everyone. I tend to twist the words somehow and make everything perverse, I dont even know what I am saying - but they tell me... and laugh at me. Its interesting. HA.
My uncle got me a bunch of books so I could study while I am here, the plan is to go to school when I get back to the states so I kind of need to review since I havent been in school in years!
Last week I was sick like I said earlier- I was also a little in the dumps.
My gramps left early last week and I guess maybe I was feeling VERY alone - its tougher than I thought being the only one over the age of 10 who speaks English. My uncle is rarely here so I really dont have many people. This is going to be a test for me, of that I am certian.
Anyway I am going to sign off here. Hope everyone at home is doing well!
Tuesday, March 10, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment