Monday, March 23, 2009

2 Months and counting....

So, for Arkansas its the 23rd (or now the 24th since its after midnight for ya'll).. and well, that makes it exactly two months since I left! Crazy stuff huh?!
In a sense time has gone pretty quickly... I've adapted to my routine (which is pretty much a whole lot of nothing lol) and well its gone ok so far.

Someone asked me what the difference in what I expected before I got here and what life here is actually like... I told them I dont have a clue lol.
Before I got here, I wasnt really sure what to expect! I didnt know - I guess maybe I thought it would be this quiant little village where the people were friendly and the cows roamed free. LOL. I dont know! Well, Vientiane is ... short. Thats about the only way to put it. There are tons of people here but when you look out across the city - its short! No buildings. The tallest thing here is a Stupa and by law you cant build any taller than it, so everything remains under 5 stories. The people arent as friendly as I thought they would be... the only thing I was right about is the cow roaming... lol.
I've learned a bit, taken some notes... realized alot of the things I have taken for granted.
Things here are very slow paced, they call it Lao PDR (people dont rush or run) and its SO true! If something gets done its time for a party and another day off.
Its interesting - and very different. Its a beautiful place for a vacation and it makes me feel like I am on South Pacific (the movie) sometimes...
The Mekong is in my back yard and the sun sets directly through my bedroom window - its beautiful, it really is. Like something from a dream...
Sometimes I feel like I am in a dream and that I need to get back to the real world.
Anyway this is just an "I made it, I'm still here... " post.

I miss home, and I miss the people that I love - I think of all of you and pray you are safe and doing well :)

Peace and chicken grease (eww!)

Meg

1 comment:

  1. Well, well, well. Has it really been two months??? I didn't even know that you left. Just playing. Everything is...going on my end. It's good to see that you're getting more comfortable way over there. I'll keep in touch with you. Stay up.

    ReplyDelete