Monday, February 16, 2009

Just something to think about....

Today I was sitting at a little cafe called JoMa here in Vientiane, I go there often to read and sort out my thoughts. Every day that I am there a woman is also there sitting on the sidewalk with 2 babies. One child is about 2 and the other cant be more than 6 months old. The baby never has any clothes or a diaper and the older is always so dirty. The woman herself is dirty and unkempt, everyday she just sits there and waits for people to give her money... I have seen homeless people before, of course but its different to see a family on the street begging for money. Today a group of boys age ranging from 4-9 ( I am assuming) walked up and down the city square asking everyone they met for money... I gave them some and the look on their faces was actually thankful, I didnt give them much- I didnt have much on me but it made me think about how spoiled we are in the US. Here the average worker makes somewhere around $4.50 per day, and they work ALOT harder than anyone I have ever met. EVERYONE works 6 days a week and they are about 10 hour days, sometimes without a lunch but they dont complain because its the way of life. You work to live.
In the US if you have to stay late at work (where most of the time you dont do much anyway) you complain. If you dont get your raise on time its a travisty ...
It just amazes me how simple these people can live and still be happy. Life here is worth more than money, course everyone wants it... but you can tell that money isnt what drives everyone. Its pretty interesting.
Me personally, I have never really been materialistic, honestly. Course I like to have nice things, but who doesnt? I have never really had alot, but I guess I was never really thankful for what I DID have...
Anyway thats just something I thought about.

Things here have been going... :) somewhere I am sure!
I have been trying to keep myself busy but for the most part the boys are in school and I get bored easily (My A.D.D. gets the best of me at times)
I think I have read like 20 books since I got here which is fun I suppose lol.
I did pose for my uncles partners photoshoot. He owns a salon and was going to have an spread in a magazine over here. So I got my hair and makeup done and got to take a few photos, it was fun!

I went to a cultural food thing the other day which was cool too... I was given something amazing to eat.. a slug ha ha. It tasted kinda like a peanut with the texture of those fried pork skins. Interesting stuff. Today I ate something too... I was scared to ask so it remains a mystery. WOO HOO!

The boys have been really good, for the most part they do their thing and I just spend a few hours with them a day checking homework, making sure they are eating etc... all kinds of "motherly duties" without actually having to be a mom (thank the lord ha ha!)

The time difference about kills me, when I am awake EVERYONE is sleeping, like right now its about 3:15AM for you guys and it is 4:15PM for me. SO weird. But my brother pointed out that I am in the future compared to you guys... so if the world comes to an end I will be the first to know... right??? he he.

Anyway my next blog is going to be a video thing... I think, or at least I am going to try it should be fun...

I am going to run and see if I can do something with my hair (would you believe I havent touched it for about 2 months.. WAY too long)

Adios ya'll! Email me.

No comments:

Post a Comment